Integrating technology in medical devices has brought about numerous advancements in healthcare delivery. However, it has also increased concerns surrounding medical device cybersecurity.
The interconnectivity of medical devices with the internet and other networks creates potential vulnerabilities that cybercriminals could exploit, resulting in unauthorized access to personal data or manipulation of devices that could pose life-threatening risks.
In light of these threats, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has issued guidelines for the healthcare sector to enhance the cybersecurity of medical devices, from pacemakers to insulin pumps. These recommendations aim to mitigate the risks posed by malicious actors, which could devastate individual patients and healthcare networks if left unaddressed.
An Overview of the FBI Recommendations
- Endpoint protection:
- Encrypt medical device data
- Implement antivirus protection where feasible
- Monitor the hospital network for cyber threats
- Maintain physical control of the device
- Identity and access management:
- Change medical device passwords regularly
- Use strong passwords
- Limit access to medical device credentials to a limited number of authorized users
- Asset management:
- Maintain a comprehensive inventory of all medical devices
- Track the software lifecycle of devices and replace them when necessary
- Keep devices updated with the latest software patches and security fixes
- Vulnerability management:
- Regularly scan devices for vulnerabilities
- Work with medical device manufacturers to update software
- Stay informed of best practices and recommendations specific to your device
- Cybersecurity Awareness Training
- Focus on insider threat prevention and mitigation of social engineering attacks
- Educate staff on the basics of medical device cybersecurity
The FBI’s guidance aims to establish a comprehensive healthcare security program to mitigate medical device cybersecurity risks. This ongoing process requires continuous evaluation and assessment of cybersecurity measures to stay ahead of the constantly evolving threat landscape.
Organizations must implement a program to identify ongoing risks and verify that safeguards are functioning as intended. It is crucial to regularly evaluate the effectiveness of existing cybersecurity measures and maintain an understanding of the fundamental principles of medical device cybersecurity.
Keep your business protected with on-demand cybersecurity support
Protect yourself and your company against any cyber threats that may arise in our increasingly connected world and learn what Putti can do for your organization
At Putti, we don’t just build world-class apps. We also understand the challenges of implementing new technology in the digital landscape in which your business operates – including the risks and threats that come with it.
That is why we integrate specialized security solutions into all of our projects to ensure your cybersecurity requirements are established, tracked, delivered, and verified.